Red flags are certain clinical features that a patient can present with and require a chiropractor or physiotherapist to investigate the condition further or send for urgent medical care. That is they may indicate that there is something more serous going on.
- New neck pain symptoms before the age of 20, or after the age of 55
- Widespread weaknesses or loss of sensation (more than one myotome or dermatome)
- Intractable or increasing pain
- Anything that suggests myelopathy and these include: slow onset, neurological symptoms, difficulty walking, weak hand or foot movement, loss of bowel bladder or bowel function. Along with any positive neurological signs such as upper motor neurons signs or Lhermitte’s sign
- Any lower motor neuron signs
- Any symptoms that suggest cancer
- Pain that disturbs sleep
- History of cancer, AIDS, or infection
- Tenderness of vertebrae suggesting trauma or fracture
- History of violent trauma
- Recent surgery of the neck
- Risk of osteoporosis
- Vascular signs and symptoms such as dizziness, black outs and drop attacks.
At Sydney Spine & Sports Centre (S3C) Balmain and Dee Why you are our priority. Neck pain treatments and treatment of spine and back pain is something that we are have a passionate for and specialise in. We work closely with experienced medical doctors and surgeons and if we suspect that you need more than chiropractic or physiotherapy for your neck pain treatments we refer you immediately.